|Value||absolute||% month||% accumulated|
|Total overnight stays||6,795.4||394.1||6.2||4.0|
|Five gold stars||288.0||27.6||10.6||8.5|
|Four gold stars||3,167.0||197.6||6.7||5.7|
|Three gold stars||2,400.8||41.5||1.8||-1.3|
|Two gold stars||386.6||34.4||9.8||3.9|
|One gold star||223.2||59.7||36.5||21.2|
|Two and three silver stars||176.9||6.7||4.0||1.2|
|One silver star||152.8||26.7||21.1||14.1|
|Source: Idescat, based on the INE's Hotel Occupancy Survey.|
|(p) Provisional data|
The Hotel Occupancy Survey (until 1998 called the Survey of Movements by Travellers in Hotel Establishments) of INE is one of the main statistical sources for measuring tourism activity. The objective is to know the behaviour of a series of variables that allow us to describe the fundamental characteristics of this type of accommodation in the tourist sector: travellers, overnight stays and occupancy rate.
The survey covers hotel establishments registered in the Tourism General Direction register, which can be consulted in the lists of tourism establishments published by the Ministry of Business and Knowledge.
Hotel establishment means one which provides accommodation services in return for payment with or without other supplementary services (hotel, hotel-apartment, motel, hostel, guest house, boarding house, etc). They are classified in seven categories, which are identified by stars: one star or basic, two stars, three stars, four stars, four stars superior, five stars, and "GL" or grand luxury.
Traveller means any person who stays for one or more consecutive nights in the same hotel establishment. The survey classifies travellers by their country of residence, which makes it possible to distinguish between domestic tourism (people resident in Spain) and foreign tourism (people resident outside Spain). In the case of people resident in Spain, for the first time information has been requested about the autonomous community they are from.
An overnight stay is each night that a traveller stays in the hotel establishment.
The occupancy rate per room is the percentage relationship between the daily median of occupied rooms in the month and the total number of available rooms.
On the basis of the INE's data, Idescat extends the monthly results for Catalonia according to the category of the establishments and tourist brands of destination. Moreover, for the first time, in January 2011 disaggregated information was published for the main countries and autonomous communities of origin, with data since January 2007.
Until year 2003, Terres de l'Ebre tourism brand was included in Costa Daurada and Val d'Aran formed part of the Pirineus. At the end 2011, the Catalan Tourism Agency approved the creation of a new tourism brand called Costa Barcelona. This brand includes the territory of the former Costa del Garraf and Costa de Barcelona-Maresme.
In 2015, two changes were made to the tourism brands, approved by the Catalan Tourist Board. The first change is that the counties El Vallès Oriental and El Vallès Occidental, which used to be a part of the Catalunya Central brand, as of 2015 will come under the Costa Barcelona brand. The second change is to the name of the brand: Catalunya Central will now be known as Paisatges de Barcelona.
On the occasion of the creation of El Moianès county, the municipalities of Castellcir, Castellterçol, Granera and Sant Quirze Safaja (which were part of the Costa Barcelona brand), from January 2016 they become part of Paisatges de Barcelona brand.
Thus Catalonia is divided into 9 tourism brands:
- Barcelona: Barcelonès
- Costa Brava: Alt Empordà, Baix Empordà, Gironès, Pla de l'Estany and Selva
- Costa Daurada: Alt Camp, Baix Camp, Baix Penedès, Conca de Barberà, Priorat and Tarragonès
- Costa Barcelona: Alt Penedès, Baix Llobregat, Garraf, Maresme, Vallès Occidental and Vallès Oriental
- Paisatges Barcelona: Anoia, Bages, Moianès and Osona
- Pirineus: Alt Urgell, Alta Ribagorça, Berguedà, Cerdanya, Garrotxa, Pallars Jussà, Pallars Sobirà, Ripollès and Solsonès
- Terres de Lleida: Garrigues, Noguera, Pla d'Urgell, Segarra, Segrià and Urgell
- Terres de l'Ebre: Baix Ebre, Montsià, Ribera d'Ebre and Terra Alta
- Val d'Aran: Aran
Until 2011, the territorial disaggregation by tourism brands was calculated using special estimators for small areas. This methodology does not guarantee that the total amount is exactly the same as the result for the whole of Catalonia using the traditional estimator. However, the discrepancies are of little significance.
From 2011 onwards, when the last available monthly data is published, which is provisional, the definitive data for the same month of the previous year is also published. This happens in the first months of the year until the definitive annual data for the previous year are published.
The monthly data still is provisional from January 1999 to December 2010.
Available tables [+]
- Culture · Language
- Household income and expenditure
- Companies · Finances
- Foreign investment and trade
- Research · Technology
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Hotel establishments. Travellers and occupancy rate
- Hotel establishments. Travellers. By origin
- Hotel establishments. Travellers and occupancy rate. By categories
- Hotel establishments. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By origin
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By categories
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Hotel Sector Profitability Indicators. By categories
- Hotel Sector Profitability Indicators. By tourism brands
- Campsites. Travellers and occupancy rate
- Campsites. Travellers and occupancy rate. By categories
- Campsites. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Campsites. Overnight stays
- Campsites. Overnight stays. By categories
- Campsites. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Rural tourism. Travellers and occupancy rate
- Rural tourism. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Rural tourism. Overnight stays
- Rural tourism. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Foreign visitors. Tourists and Excursionists
- Foreign tourists. By country of residence
- Foreign tourists. Declared expenditure
- Foreign tourists (2001-2015 quaterly series). By origin
- Tourism of residents in Catalonia. Trips and day trips
- Tourism of residents in Catalonia. Declared expenditure
- Tourism in Catalonia of residents in the rest of Spain. Trips and day trips
- Tourism in Catalonia of residents in the rest of Spain. Declared expenditure
- Relative Prices Indicator of International Tourism in Catalonia
- Market Share Indicator of International Tourism in Catalonia
- Employed persons in the tourism sector. By sex and professional situation