- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Demography · Society
- Culture · Language
- Language Uses of the Population. By linguistic identification with Catalan. Areas
Language Uses of the Population. By linguistic identification with Catalan. Areas. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Own language
- Language that the interviewee considers to be their own language. The language with which that person identifies him or herself.
- Habitual language
- Language that the interviewee uses most often. This language may or may not be the language considered the first language or own language.
- First language
- Language that the interviewee claims to have spoken at home first. This is considered to be the language transmitted to that person in the family context and that was acquired as part of the individual's socialisation process.
- Linguistic usages
- That which an individual actively communicates by speaking or writing in a language and that which the individual passively receives when hearing or reading a language.
The Survey on Language Uses of the Population (EULP) is a set of official statistics of which there have already been three previous editions, those of 2003, 2008 and 2013. These are periodical statistics, the bodies responsible for which are the Ministry of Culture, by means of the General Direction of Linguistic Policy, and Idescat. The main objective of the EULP is to obtain an estimate of language uses in interpersonal relations in Catalonia, and in different areas of use.
The survey will be administered to people aged 15 and over who were included in Catalonia's Municipal Population Register as of 1st January 2013.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".