- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Demography · Society
- Justice · Public order and safety
- Ombudsman. Complaints and consultations received. Counties and Aran, and provinces
Ombudsman. Complaints and consultations received. Counties and Aran, and provinces. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Consultation (SG)
- Request for information made by legitimated people, entities or institutions to the Catalan Ombudsman.
- Request for ex-officio action are meant to urge the Catalan Ombudsman to investigate events in which the activity or inactivity attributable to administrations, bodies, companies or persons may have violated constitutional or statutory rights or freedoms.
- Institution responsible for the protection of fundamental rights and freedoms of citizens. Its powers of supervision the activity of the public administration of the Government and the public or private organizations or linked to it, private companies that manage public services or carry out activities of general or universal . The Ombudsman is also the mechanism for the prevention of torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, as is called for in the Optional Protocol to the United Nations Convention.
Law 24/2009, of December 23, on the Catalan Ombudsman(DOGC no. 5536 - 30/12/2009), to designate the Catalan Ombudsman as the Catalan authority for the prevention of torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment.Elected to three-fifths of Parliament is politically independent. Not depend on any government and act with objectivity, independence and freedom of opinion. Each term lasts for nine years.
The Catalan Ombudsman works to ensure that persons' rights are respected. He/she attends to all consultations and guides interests regarding the best procedures that should be observed to resolve the problem. His/her competences are limited, so they cannot intervene, for example, in conflicts between private parties.
Any natural or legal person is entitled to address to Catalan Ombudsman, no assistance from an attorney or procedural representation shall be necessary. The Catalan Ombudsman's activity is free of charge for the interested party.
Current Territorial Distribution
At present, Catalonia is divided into 41 counties, 1 singular territorial entity (Aran) and 8 areas of the Territorial Plan, according to the latest territorial changes, which affect the areas of El Penedès and the Central Counties, Aran and El Moianès.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".