|Up to 500||From 501 to 2,000||From 2,001 to 5,000||From 5,001 to 10,000||From 10,001 to 50,000||More than 500,000||Total|
|Conca de Barberà||16||3||2||1||0||0||22|
|Pla de l'Estany||4||4||2||0||1||0||11|
|Camp de Tarragona||53||33||15||9||6||2||118|
|Terres de l'Ebre||8||25||9||6||4||0||52|
|Alt Pirineu i Aran||46||23||4||3||1||0||77|
|Source: Idescat. Municipal population register.|
Definition of concepts
- All inhabitants of a given place. Since 1996, when the continuous management system was established for the Municipal Population Register, in accordance with Royal Decree 2612/1996, of December 20, official population figures for municipalities have been obtained annually using data referred to January 1 of each year.
- Person who habitually lives in a municipality, whether present or absent on the date of reference. Acquisition of the condition of neighbour is produced as soon as that person is recorded on the civil register (padró). Those who habitually live in a municipality but are away on the date of reference are still considered neighbours of the municipality they usually live in. The concept of a neighbour substitutes the concepts of a present resident and absent resident in a municipality in accordance with Royal Decree 2612/1996, of December 20, which modified the Regulation for the population and territorial demarcation of local entities on July 11, 1986. The figure of the person in transit has also been eliminated.
The Municipal population register is the administrative record containing the residents of a given municipality and it constitutes proof that they reside in the municipality and have their usual home there. The exploitation of the municipal population register provides figures on the number of people registered in the population census in each municipality in Catalonia. The official figures are available by municipality and they are broken down according to sex, age, nationality and place of birth. During the second quarter of the year, provisional data is published that is considered valid until the official data is made available. The provisional data is only available for Catalonia and the provinces.
The population figures from the Populations census are only for statistical purposes, i.e. they are not official population figures. The last census was in 2011, and the reference date is November 1, 2011. The Population and Housing Censuses 2011 are a state-wide statistical operation conducted by the INE and that is being undertaken for the first time by European mandate. The reference date is November 1, 2011. The census model observed by the INE in producing that census consists of an operation that combines exploitation of the administrative records with a sample-based survey and a count of buildings. The availability of the Municipal population register as a consolidated population register made it possible to complete a census of such a nature.
Current Territorial Distribution
At present, Catalonia is divided into 41 counties, 1 singular territorial entity (Aran) and 8 areas of the Territorial Plan, according to the latest territorial changes, which affect the areas of El Penedès and the Central Counties, Aran and El Moianès.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
Demography · Society
- Population density
- Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- By size of municipality. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Municipalities. By population brackets. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Total population growth
- Population structure
- Population residing abroad
- Censuses and demographic surveys
- Foreign population
- Households, families and marriages
- Births and deaths
- Commuting and seasonal population
- Names and surnames
- Population figures
- Culture · Language
- Justice · Public order and safety
- Quality of life
- Economic sectors
- Environment · Territory