|Less than 1 ha||1,378||1,421||1,551||1,378||1,711||2,213||3,302||1,478||1,903|
|From 1 to < 2 ha||6,158||7,884||7,415||5,648||6,802||6,784||8,064||6,756||7,558|
|From 2 to < 5 ha||13,762||13,700||13,512||12,472||12,390||13,811||14,674||15,777||15,761|
|From 5 to < 10 ha||9,630||9,708||10,856||8,997||9,308||9,756||12,411||14,425||14,333|
|From 10 to < 20 ha||9,951||9,733||9,889||10,122||11,190||11,416||11,178||11,911||12,942|
|From 20 to < 50 ha||9,273||8,404||9,666||8,867||8,715||9,266||9,929||11,116||11,812|
|From 50 to < 100 ha||3,527||3,936||3,684||3,927||3,844||3,344||3,573||4,589||3,899|
|From 100 to < 200 ha||1,899||1,856||1,779||1,665||1,650||1,830||1,757||1,542||1,468|
|200 and above ha||1,124||1,047||968||1,372||1,289||1,262||1,290||1,020||1,046|
|Source: Idescat, based on data from the Survey on Farm Structure of INE.|
|Note: The 1999 data has been adapted to the population researched in the Agricultural Census 2009 in order to assist with comparability.|
Last update: February 28, 2018.Statistics EXPAGR
Definition of concepts
- Technical-economic unit from which agricultural products are obtained under the responsibility of one titular agent. Characterised by the use of a single set of means of production (labour, machinery, etc.). Includes exclusively forestry operations and prohibited hunting zones. Depending on the surface area, these can be with land or without land.
- Farm, with land
- Of a surface area equal to or greater than 0.1 ha, on one or several sites whether adjacent or not. In the 2009 Census, the minimums are: 1ha of UAA, or 0.2 ha of horticulture or flowers in the open air or irrigated orchards or greenhouses, or 0.1 ha of greenhouse horticulture or flowers, or 0.5 ha of tobacco, hops or cotton.
- Farm, without land
- Of a surface area of less than 0.1 ha and having a certain quantity of animals. In the 2009 Census, the minimums are: to have an LU or TSP (Total standard production) equal to or more than 0.75 ESUs.
Agricultural statistics are generated within the framework of the EU programme on surveys on farm structure conducted by all EU members in order have up-to-date, comparable information on the member states, with the purpose of being used a basic tool for designing the Common Agricultural Policy. This programme establishes that an Agricultural Census shall be performed every ten years and sample-based surveys in the intervening years. For the cycle that starts with the Agricultural census 2009, two triennial surveys are established.
In these censuses, which are exhaustive, all the existing farms are researched, which from 2009, must comply with certain minimum criteria, while in the Surveys on Farm Structure the population studied complies with some less broad minimum criteria and the data is selected by sampling.
The introduction of these methodological changes with respect to previous editions means that the data is not directly comparable.
What is more, the census questionnaire also includes an additional sheet through which information of interest to the Catalan agricultural sector can be gathered.
Between 1989 and 2007, these statistical operations were conducted by Idescat with the support of the Department of Agriculture, Livestock, Fishing, Food and the Environment.
In 2009, the INE became the responsible body for the Agricultural census for Spain as a whole and in Catalonia it works in collaboration with Idescat and the Department of Agriculture, Livestock, Fishing, Food and the Environment, in accordance with the corresponding collaboration agreements.
The Survey on Farm Structure shows the biennial data series for intercensal periods up to 2007. The series will be triennial from 2013 onwards. From 2013 onwards, the thematic sections will include a section on Rural Development and another on Standard Production, which substitutes the processing of economic data on operations which was based on the gross margin until 2007.
Furthermore, in conjunction with DARP, Idescat has generated a variety of informative documents setting out the main results of the Agricultural Census and the Survey on Farm Structure, prior to 2009. The document devoted to the Agricultural Census contains a compilation of the main variables and compares them with the corresponding previous censuses, pointing out and commenting on the basic factors in their evolution in the intervening period.
The documents devoted to Survey on Farm Structure provide data on the main variables in this survey and compare them with the universe of reference of the corresponding Agricultural Census.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Agricultural surface. By type
- Agricultural surface. By type. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Used agricultural area (UAA). By type of tenancy
- Used agricultural area (UAA). By type of tenancy. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Farms. By size of the total surface
- Farms and Total Standard Production. By technical-economic orientation
- Farms. By Total Standard Production
- Farms. By legal status
- Farms. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Farms with UAA. By size. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Persons in employment. Agriculture sector
- Persons in employment. Agriculture sector. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Agricultural macromagnitudes
- Final agricultural production. By products
- Agricultural machinery
- Agricultural machinery. New inscriptions. By type
- Agricultural sector
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Environment · Territory