|Farms (number)||Surface (hectares)|
|Conca de Barberà||261||655|
|Pla de l'Estany||171||1,305|
|Camp de Tarragona||5,450||20,535|
|Terres de l'Ebre||7,107||52,874|
|Alt Pirineu i Aran||1,122||7,581|
|Source: Idescat, based on data from the Agricultural census of INE.|
|Note: Cultivated land with open-air irrigation (excluding kitchen gardens for personal use and greenhouses).|
Definition of concepts
- Herbaceous crops
- Composed of plants whose above ground part is of herbaceous consistency. Also includes areas occupied by fallow and family orchards.
- Woody crops
- Composed of plants whose above ground part is of woody consistency. These occupy the land for long periods of time and do not need to be replanted after each harvest. Excludes areas of forest and their plantations.
- Irrigated land
- As well as rainwater, this land also receives water by means of a man-made system, whether temporary or continuous.
- Rainfed land
- Land that receives no water other than rainwater.
- Cultivated land
- Land that is worked (whether using hoes, ploughs, rakes, harvesters, spreaders or extirpators) over the agricultural year for whatever purpose and the date when it was done. Crops from tilled land can be herbaceous or woody.
The Agricultural Census is a large-scale statistical operation carried out every ten years. Its objective is to collect, compile and disseminate information that allows us to understand the structure of the agricultural sector at a given point in time.
The aspects covered by the census include farm size, tenure status, irrigation methods, land use, livestock, labour, rural development and storage facilities.
In Catalonia, the 1962, 1982, 2009 and 2020 agricultural censuses were carried out by Spain's National Statistics Institute (INE), while the 1989 and 1999 censuses were carried out by Idescat, with support from the then Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, Food and Environment (now the Ministry of Climate Action, Food and Rural Agenda).
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Agricultural sector
- Agricultural surface. Main products. Provinces
- Agricultural surface. By products. Provinces
- Cultivated land. By type of crop
- Cultivated land. Dry land and Irrigated land. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Cultivated land. Herbaceous crops. By type. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Cultivated land. Woody crops. By type. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Surface of organic farming. By type. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Farms of organic farming. By type. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Agricultural production. Main products. Provinces
- Agricultural production. By products. Provinces
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Environment · Territory