|Establishments||Hotel establishments||Hotels||Paradors||Spas||Hostals and pensions||Campsites||Rural tourism||Beds||Hotel establishments||Hotels||Paradors||Spas||Hostals and pensions||Campsites (1)||Rural tourism|
|2003-2019: Idescat, based on data from the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Families.|
|2020-2021: Idescat, based on data from the Ministry of Business and Labour.|
|Note: (1) From the year 2011, according to article 49 of Decree 183/2010, of November 23, on tourist accommodation establishments, the capacity of a campsite in terms of the number of places is obtained by multiplying by three the total number of camping units. This change implies a break in the series that prevents year-over-year comparison, as in previous years the number of campsite places was obtained by multiplying the total number of camping units by two and a half.|
Last update: September 5, 2022.Statistics TURALL
Definition of concepts
- Establishment situated in a mountain region or an area rich in mineral waters and especially appropriate for therapeutic relaxation and medicinal cures.
- Area of delimitated land that has been equipped and conditioned for use by people, on a regular basis and by paying a stipulated price, to use an area for living in the open air for a set period of time, for holidaying or tourism purposes and using as a residence mobile shelters such as caravans, tents or other similar elements that are easily transported. They are classified into four categories: luxury, first, second and third class.
- Hotel establishment
- Commercial establishment for public use for accommodating people in transit in a place; they offer, at a price, collective accommodation with or without complementary services. Includes both hotels and pensions.
- Establishment that offers rooms for hire and may also offer complementary services. They are classified into five categories that are identified by gold stars.
- Hotel situated in a location of tourist interest that tends to use an old building of historic and architectural value.
- Establishment that offers accommodation in rooms with or without complementary services, in the form of hire, but that, both due to size and structure and the characteristics and types of services, do not come to the same level as that of a hotel. There are three categories, which are identified by silver stars. Boarding houses and hostels also included.
- Campsite place
- Space occupied by a person in a tent, mobile shelter or caravan.
- Hotel place
- Place occupied by a person in a hotel establishment. The number of places equals the number of fixed beds in the establishment. Double beds are counted as two places; supplementary beds are not taken into account.
- Rural tourism
- Form of tourism in accommodation located in the rural environment. They tend to be in contact with agricultural operations and buildings built before 1950 in accordance with the architecture of the zone. They have drinking water, electricity, heating, sanitary services and the appropriate furniture. They are classified into four groups: shared country house, independent country house, masia and masoveria.
Tourist establishments are disaggregated into hotel establishments, camp sites and rural tourism establishments, according to their category and capacity.
The information presented herein is fundamentally structural and focused on tourist offering. Given the characteristics of this sector, the information has been clustered for certain municipalities.
Until 1994 the source for this data was the General Directorate of Tourist Companies and Activities, belonging to the Ministry of Transportation, Tourism and Communications. Since 1995, the General Directorate of Tourism, belonging to the Ministry for Business and Labour of the Generalitat de Catalunya, has been in charge of publishing data on the registry of tourist establishments: hotel establishments, camp sites, rural tourism establishments and housing for tourists' use.
Until year 2003, Terres de l'Ebre tourism brand was included in Costa Daurada and Val d'Aran formed part of the Pirineus. At the end 2011, the Catalan Tourism Agency approved the creation of a new tourism brand called Costa Barcelona. This region includes the territory of the former Costa del Garraf and Costa de Barcelona-Maresme.
In 2015, two changes were made to the tourism brands, approved by the Catalan Tourist Board. The first change is that the counties El Vallès Oriental and El Vallès Occidental, which used to be a part of the Catalunya Central brand, as of 2015 will come under the Costa Barcelona brand. The second change is to the name of the brand: Catalunya Central will now be known as Paisatges de Barcelona.
On the occasion of the creation of El Moianès county, the municipalities of Castellcir, Castellterçol, Granera and Sant Quirze Safaja (which were part of the Costa Barcelona brand), from 2015 they become part of Paisatges de Barcelona brand.
Thus Catalonia is divided into 9 tourism brands:
- Barcelona: Barcelonès.
- Costa Brava: Alt Empordà, Baix Empordà, Gironès, Pla de l'Estany i Selva.
- Costa Daurada: Alt Camp, Baix Camp, Baix Penedès, Conca de Barberà, Priorat i Tarragonès.
- Costa Barcelona: Alt Penedès, Baix Llobregat, Garraf, Maresme, Vallès Occidental i Vallès Oriental.
- Paisatges Barcelona: Anoia, Bages, Moianès i Osona.
- Pirineus: Alt Urgell, Alta Ribagorça, Berguedà, Cerdanya, Garrotxa, Pallars Jussà, Pallars Sobirà, Ripollès i Solsonès.
- Terres de Lleida: Garrigues, Noguera, Pla d'Urgell, Segarra, Segrià i Urgell.
- Terres de l'Ebre: Baix Ebre, Montsià, Ribera d'Ebre i Terra Alta.
- Aran: Val d'Aran.
Until 2011, the territorial disaggregation by tourism brands was calculated using special estimators for small areas. This methodology does not guarantee that the total amount is exactly the same as the result for the whole of Catalonia using the traditional estimator. However, the discrepancies are of little significance.
The new county of El Moianès was created on 1 May 2015 (Law 4/2015, of 23 April, on the creation of the county of El Moianès) from the aggregation of five municipalities of the county of El Bages, one from the county of Osona and four from the county of El Vallès Oriental.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
- Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Tourist accommodations. Establishments and beds. By type
- Tourist accommodations. Establishments and beds. By type. Tourism brands
- Tourist accommodations. Establishments and beds. By type. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Hotel establishments. Establishments and beds. By categories
- Hotel establishments. Establishments and beds. By categories. Tourism brands
- Hotel establishments. Establishments and beds. By types. Counties and Aran, and provinces
- Campsites. Establishments and beds. By categories
- Campsites. Establishments and beds. By categories. Tourism brands
- Campsites. Establishments and beds. By categories. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Rural tourism. Establishments and beds.By categories
- Rural tourism. Establishments and beds. By categories. Tourism brands
- Rural tourism. Establishments and beds. By categories. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Tourism occupancy
- Tourist movement
- Tourist facilities
- Main aggregates of tourism
- Tourist accommodations
- Environment · Territory