|Travellers (Thousands)||Overnight stays (Thousands)||Occupancy rate by places (%)|
|Barcelona||z Category not applicable||z Category not applicable||z Category not applicable|
|Terres de Lleida||.. Confidential data, low reliability or not available||.. Confidential data, low reliability or not available||.. Confidential data, low reliability or not available|
|Terres de l'Ebre||116.8||538.7||40.5|
|Val d'Aran||.. Confidential data, low reliability or not available||.. Confidential data, low reliability or not available||.. Confidential data, low reliability or not available|
|Source: Idescat, based on the INE's Campsite Occupancy Survey.|
|- For better statistical reliability, the territorial breakdown by Tourism brands is calculated using special small area estimators. This methodology does not guarantee that the total amount is exactly the result for Catalonia as a whole using the traditional estimator. The discrepancies are, in any case, of little significance.|
|- Between 14 March and 21 June 2020, it is in force the Royal Decree 463/2020, of 14 March, which declares the state of alarm for the management of the health crisis situation caused by Covid-19.|
|(z) Category not applicable.|
|(..) Confidential data, low reliability or not available.|
Definition of concepts
- Average tourist stay
- Approximation of the number of days that, on average, travellers stay in establishments. It is calculated as a ratio between overnight stays and the number of travellers.
- Occupancy rate by places
- Ratio, as a percentage, between the total number of places occupied during the month and those available in the campsite for the same period multiplied by the days of the month of reference.
- Overnight stay
- Each of the nights that a traveller stays in an establishment used for collective accommodation or in a private form of tourist accommodation.
- Person who moves outside of their usual environment. Travellers are classified by their place of residence, which in the case of residents of Spain is the autonomous community they usually reside in. The term traveller in the occupancy section is used as a synonym of tourist or a person that stays for at least one night in any form of accommodation.
The Campsite Occupancy Survey of the INE is one of the statistical sources for measuring tourism activity. Its main objective is to understand the behaviour of a series of variables that describe the fundamental characteristics of this type of accommodation in these tourism sectors: travellers, overnight stays and occupancy rate.
The survey is aimed at campsites registered in the Tourism General Direction register, the one that can be consulted in the lists of tourism establishments published by the Ministry for Business and Labour.
On the basis of INE data, Idescat expands the results for Catalonia according to the category of the establishments and tourism brands of destination.
Until year 2003, Terres de l'Ebre tourism brand was included in Costa Daurada and Val d'Aran formed part of the Pirineus. At the end 2011, the Catalan Tourism Agency approved the creation of a new tourism brand called Costa Barcelona. This brand includes the territory of the former Costa del Garraf and Costa de Barcelona-Maresme.
In 2015, two changes were made to the tourism brands, approved by the Catalan Tourist Board. The first change is that the counties El Vallès Oriental and El Vallès Occidental, which used to be a part of the Catalunya Central brand, as of 2015 will come under the Costa Barcelona brand. The second change is to the name of the brand: Catalunya Central will now be known as Paisatges de Barcelona.
Thus Catalonia is divided into 9 tourism brands:
- Barcelona: Barcelonès.
- Costa Brava: Alt Empordà, Baix Empordà, Gironès, Pla de l'Estany and Selva.
- Costa Daurada: Alt Camp, Baix Camp, Baix Penedès, Conca de Barberà, Priorat and Tarragonès.
- Costa Barcelona: Alt Penedès, Baix Llobregat, Garraf, Maresme, Vallès Occidental and Vallès Oriental.
- Paisatges Barcelona: Anoia, Bages and Osona.
- Pirineus: Alt Urgell, Alta Ribagorça, Berguedà, Cerdanya, Garrotxa, Pallars Jussà, Pallars Sobirà, Ripollès and Solsonès.
- Terres de Lleida: Garrigues, Noguera, Pla d'Urgell, Segarra, Segrià and Urgell.
- Terres de l'Ebre: Baix Ebre, Montsià, Ribera d'Ebre and Terra Alta.
- Val d'Aran: Aran.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
- Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Tourist accommodations
- Tourism occupancy
- Tourist movement
- Tourist facilities
- Main aggregates of tourism
- Environment · Territory