|Students||Infant education||Primary education||Special education||Secondary education (1)||University education (2)||Infant education (%)||Primary education (%)||Special education (%)||Secondary education (%)||University education (%)||Teachers||Infant and primary education||Special education||Secondary education||University education||Infant and primary education (%)||Special education (%)||Secondary education (%)||University education (%)|
|SY 1980/81-SY 2018/19: Ministry of Education; Ministry of Economy and Knowledge.|
|SY 2019/20: Ministry of Education; Ministry of Research and Universities.|
|- (1) The secondary education includes the students of the Programs for Initial Professional Qualification (PIPQ) since the school year 2008-2009.|
|- (2) The university education includes the students of the cycles, degrees, masters and PDH curses since the school year 2010-2011.|
Last update: January 27, 2022.Statistics ENS
Definition of concepts
- Special education
- Education that involves curricular care and adaptations designed for disabled pupils to carry out their education process while integrated in ordinary centres or specific centres when this is recommendable due to the seriousness and circumstances of the disability.
- Infant education
- Etapa educativa preobligatòria que s'imparteix als infants de 0 a 6 anys. S'organitza en dos cicles de tres cursos: primer cicle o primera infància (de 0 a 3 anys) i segon cicle o primer ensenyament (de 3 a 6 anys). Poden impartir el primer cicle d'educació infantil els centres creats o autoritzats per l'Administració educativa. Els centres que únicament imparteixen el primer cicle d'educació infantil tenen la denominació genèrica de llar d'infants o escola bressol.
- Primary education
- Education that covers six years, from six years to twelve, and is compulsory. It is structured into three cycles, each of two academic years.
- Secondary education
- Educational that level that covers: obligatory secondary education (ESO), Batxillerat and specific vocational training of medium and higher level.
- Medium grade vocational training
- Training that includes education providing the capacity to develop various professions. Of a variable duration depending on the profession. To access this, the secondary education graduates certificate or any equivalent is required. The pupils that pass these courses receive the specialist qualification for the corresponding profession.
- University education
- Education that seeks to prepare and specialise professionals, foster cultural progress and develop research. Access to university requires candidates to pass PAAU (university entrance aptitude tests). In the case of university colleges there is a set of reserved places for students proceeding from CFGS or FP2. University can also be accessed by people aged over twenty-five years that pass regulatory university entrance exams as proposed by universities, even though they do not possess the batxiller certificate. University education taken in higher technical colleges and faculties involves three cycles: first cycle studies, first and second cycle studies, second cycle studies and third cycle studies. Since the Bologna Plan came into force, university certificates are structured into three cycles: bachelor's degree, masters and doctorate. Bachelor's degrees replace diplomas and licentiates. Masters courses are for acquiring specialised training focused on research and the professional world. The aim of doctorate courses is to offer students advanced training in research techniques.
- Programmes for Initial Professional Qualification (PIPQ)
- Es dirigeixen a alumnes més grans de 16 anys que no han obtingut el títol de GESO (graduat/ada en ESO)Incorporen tres tipus de mòduls, que proporcionen: competències professionals (mòduls A), formació de caràcter general (mòduls B), el títol de GESO (mòduls voluntaris C). Les proves d'accés amb exempcions se suprimiran a partir del curs 2012-2013.
The data on infant, primary and secondary education is taken from an exploitation of the data provided by the Generalitat de Catalunya's Ministry of Education or teaching centres at all education levels. The public sector includes data for the centres that depend on the Ministry of Education and other public administrations, while the private sector deals with privately owned centres.
In 1990 the Law for general ordering of the education system (LOGSE) was passed, which modifies the previous education system (LGE) of 1970. In the 1991/92 academic year the teaching approved by the new law was gradually introduced and the 2000/01 academic year was the first in which none of the teaching relating to the previous education system was still in existence.
However, the two education models coexisted over the long period of experimentation and implantation of the new education law.
The data on centres and teaching staff is given, on the one hand, for infant and primary education as a whole, and on the other, for secondary education, although it is often the case that centres and teachers overlap in terms of the different levels given.
In the area of university education we have used the information provided by the Generalitat de Catalunya's Ministry of Economy and Knowledge, obtained from the statistics services of Catalan universities. Data is offered on the number of teachers, and students enrolled at and qualified by the private and public universities that make up the Catalan university system. Data is also included in relation to the number of students taking third cycle (PhD and continuing education) courses. Since the Bologna Plan came into force, information has been included on students enrolled for official degrees and masters. At the moment there are two coexisting systems until the expiry of the old plan. Data is also provided on PhD theses, and on students on the different student mobility programmes.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
Demography · Society
- Culture · Language
Developments in education
- Students and teachers. By education levels
- Foreign students. By ownership of centre and levels. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Foreign students. By place of origin. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Primary education
- Secondary education
- Higher education
- Adult training
- Training of the population
- Developments in education
- Justice · Public order and safety
- Quality of life
- Economic sectors
- Environment · Territory