Consumption of tobacco. Prevalence. By sex and age groups
|From 15 to 24 years||19.3||18.7||19.0|
|From 25 to 34 years||39.1||25.7||32.4|
|From 35 to 44 years||38.0||26.3||32.2|
|From 45 to 54 years||31.4||20.9||26.3|
|From 55 to 64 years||28.9||23.8||26.3|
|From 65 years and more||15.5||7.6||11.1|
|From 15 to 64 years||31.8||23.2||27.6|
|Units: Per cent.|
|Source: Ministry of Health. Campaign for the prevention and control of smoking. Survey on the consumption of tobacco, alcohol and drugs, 1998. Catalan Health Survey Enquesta de salut de Catalunya 2002, 2006, (2011-2021).|
|Note: People aged 15 and over who smoke (daily and occasional smokers).|
Last update: May 31, 2023.Statistics ESCA
Definition of concepts
- Passive smoker
- Person who does not smoke tobacco, but who breathes it in.
- Person who regularly or occasionally smokes tobacco. The consequences depend on several factors, such as the number of cigarettes smoked, how deeply the smoke is breathed in, how long it is held in the lungs and how many years the person has smoked, etc.
- Smoking addiction
- This is a drug dependency owing to behavioural, psychological, social and pharmacological factors. It leads to repeated tobacco consumption with serious health consequences.
As for data on the consumption of tobacco, managed by the Department of Health, until 2006 the data is taken from the Health Survey conducted every four years. From 2011, the data is taken from a continuous survey conducted each year.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
Demography · Society
- Culture · Language
- Justice · Public order and safety
- Voluntary termination of pregnancy. By motives, type of centre, marital status and age of the woman
- Voluntary termination of pregnancy. Counties and Aran
- Diseases of compulsory individual declaration. Cases. By sex and age groups
- Diseases of compulsory numerical declaration. Cases. Counties and Aran, and areas
- Declared epidemics
- Reported cases of aids. By sex and transmission groups
- Consumption of tobacco. Prevalence. By sex and age groups
- Treatment for drug addiction. By type of drug. Counties and Aran, and areas
- Treatment for drug addiction. By type of drug, sex, age groups, employment situation and level of education
- Health resources
- Health professionals
- Hospital activity
- Economic Activity
- Quality of life
- Economic sectors
- Environment · Territory