- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Demography · Society
- Commuting and seasonal population
- Commuting for study
- Non-university education. Resident student and located places of study. Counties and Aran
Non-university education. Resident student and located places of study. Counties and Aran. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Resident Student
- Population resident in the selected geographical area that study, regardless of whether they study in that geographical area or somewhere else.
- Difference between the number of located places of study and the population resident in any given geographical area.
- Located Places of Study
- Population studying in the selected geographical area, regardless of whether or not they reside in that geographical area.
- Non-residents that study inside area
- Persons that study in the selected geographical area but reside outside of this area.
- Residents that study inside area
- Persons that study in the same geographical area in which they reside.
- Residents that study out-of-area
- Persons resident in the selected geographical area that study in a different geographical area.
The Statistics on the obligatory mobility for study reasons of university and non-university students are obtained on the basis of a statistical treatment of the enrolment records of non-university students (Ministry of Education).
The data on the mobility of non-university students includes information on the population from the age of 3 years enrolled for infant, primary, compulsory secondary, pre-university and vocational education. These Statistics exclude children in infant education (0-2 years), special education schemes (music, dance, sports, languages, plastic arts and design, higher design, dramatic arts, conservation and restoration of cultural assets) and adult education.
The reference population is students enrolled at non-university education centres located in Catalonia.
The unit of analysis is people that travel for study reasons, based on a comparison between the municipality of residence and the municipality of study.
These Statistics are produced annually and the reference year is that of the start of the academic year. So, in 2011 information is analysed on the enrolments recorded in September for the 2011-2012 academic year. The series starts with data for 2011.
Current Territorial Distribution
At present, Catalonia is divided into 41 counties, 1 singular territorial entity (Aran) and 8 areas of the Territorial Plan, according to the latest territorial changes, which affect the areas of El PenedÃ¨s and the Central Counties, Aran and El MoianÃ¨s.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".