Definition of concepts
- Difference between the number of located places of study and the population resident in any given geographical area.
- Located Places of Study
- Population studying in the selected geographical area, regardless of whether or not they reside in that geographical area.
- Non-residents that study inside area
- Persons that study in the selected geographical area but reside outside of this area.
- Resident Student Population
- Population resident in the selected geographical area that study, regardless of whether they study in that geographical area or somewhere else.
- Residents that study inside area
- Persons that study in the same geographical area in which they reside.
- Residents that study out-of-area
- Persons resident in the selected geographical area that study in a different geographical area.
The Statistics on the obligatory mobility for study reasons of university students are obtained on the basis of a statistical treatment of the enrolment records of university students from the UNEIX system (Secretariat for Universities and Research).
These Statistics enrolment records and provides information on the enrolments of students aged 18 years or more at any of the twelve universities in Catalonia (apart from the UOC, because this is not a university that students attend in person). It also includes information on public and private, integrated and scribed, university centres and on education levels with homologated bachelor degree certificates. It therefore excludes associated centres, masters and PhD education levels and non-homologated certificates.
As for mobility programmes abroad and with the rest of Spain, students are not included if they are enrolled at non Catalan universities universities but are taking courses at a Catalan university, and neither are students included if they are enrolled at a Catalan university but are taking courses at a university elsewhere.
The reference population is students enrolled at university education centres located in Catalonia.
The unit of analysis is people that travel for study reasons, based on a comparison between the municipality of residence and the municipality of study.
These Statistics are produced annually and the reference year is that of the start of the academic year. So, in 2011 information is analysed on the enrolments recorded in September for the 2011-2012 academic year. The series starts with data for 2011.
Current Territorial Distribution
At present, Catalonia is divided into 41 counties, 1 singular territorial entity (Aran) and 8 areas of the Territorial Plan, according to the latest territorial changes, which affect the areas of El PenedÃ¨s and the Central Counties, Aran and El MoianÃ¨s.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".