- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Environment · Territory
- Land uses and surface area
- Number of municipalities. By surface area. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
Number of municipalities. By surface area. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Administrative constituency of a territorial nature, governed by a council, considered the basic unit of territorial organisation and primary element of citizen participation in public affairs, as established by Law 8/1987, of April 15 on municipalities and the local regime for Catalonia. A municipality enjoys its own autonomy, is of a legal character and has full capacity to exercise the public functions bestowed upon it, in order to represent the interests of its respective collective and to manage the public services that it assumed ownership of. The government and administration of the municipality correspond to the municipal council.
- Surface area
- Extension of the territory, measured in square kilometres, which lies within the administrative boundaries of a certain municipality. Also includes enclaves that some municipalities have that are located within other counties.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".