- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Research · Technology
- Research, development and innovation
- Personnel on R&D. By sectors performance and occupation
Personnel on R&D. By sectors performance and occupation. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Full-time equivalent in R&D
- Sum of the fractions of time that have been dedicated to R&D by people that are partially dedicated to R&D, plus the people that work in it on a full time basis.
- Scientist or engineer implies in the design or creation of new knowledge, products, processes, methods and systems and the management of said projects.
- Scientific research and technological development
- Set of creative and original tasks that are systematically undertaken to increase the volume of knowledge, including knowledge of man, culture and society, and the use of this knowledge to design new applications.
Data on the effort in Catalonia in research and technological development (R&D) come from the Statistics on activities in scientific research and technological development carried out by the INE annually. In order to facilitate comparability with other countries of the European Union, the methodology used in these statistics follows the guidelines of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), as set out in the Frascati Manual.
Scientific research and technological development include the set of creative and original works that are undertaken systematically and/or sporadically in order to increase the volume of knowledge, including knowledge of mankind, culture and society, as well as the use of this knowledge to conceive new applications.
The Statistic on activities in scientific Research and technological Development (R&D) is a census-based statistic in the sectors of Public Administration, higher education and private non-profit institutions, and a sample statistic in the companies sector.
In order to calculate the effort in R&D activities in Catalonia, the spending on R&D activities made within the surveyed unit (gross domestic expenditure) and the personnel employed for this purpose in full-time equivalent employment (FTE) are measured. This information is provided by fields of operation.
Spending is presented in current euros and in percentage of GDP, and breaks down in current expenditure (compensations and other current expenses) and in capital expenditure. It also classifies according to the source of the funds destined to R&D. . In order to facilitate the comparability of this indicator we use the data of GDP of the Regional Accounting of Spain of the INE (for years 2002-2008 base 2000, for years 2009-2011 base 2008 and since 2012 base 2010).
The calculation of equivalent full-time personnel takes into account the personnel who work full time in R&D activities and the sum of fractions of time dedicated to R&D activities by part-time personnel. The information is provided by sex and is disaggregated into three professional categories: research, technical and other supporting staff.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".