Definition of concepts
- Gross operating surplus
- Surplus generated by operational activities after compensating for the work factor. This can be calculated as the difference between gross value added at factor cost and personnel costs.
- Gross value added at market prices
- It is calculated upon the basis of the production value less intermediate consumption, which is made up of the sum of the consumption of raw materials and other supplies and expenditure on external services.
- Gross value added at factor cost
- Gross income from operating activities once the effects of the operating subsidies and indirect taxes have been adjusted. It is calculated upon the basis of the gross value added at market prices, deducting the taxes linked to production and products and adding the operating
- Production vale
- Number of final goods and services produced by the company during the year. It is equal to the turnover, plus the changes in inventories of products finished and in progress, plus the work performed by the company for its assets (capitalized production), plus accessory income and any other related to current management, less the consumption of goods and work performed by other companies.
The main source of trade statistics is the Structural business statistics in the trade sector, called the Annual Trade Survey prior to the reference year 2014, conducted by the INE in accordance with European Union regulations, whereby the statistics for Catalonia are exploited by Idescat. General information is obtained on the evolution of commerce and three main groups or sections that it is made up of:
- sale and repair of motor vehicles and motocycles
This breakdown presents the tables showing the main results for macromagnitudes and employed persons. In turn, these large groups are subdivided into branches that cover all specialities of commerce. For this smaller breakdown, tables showing macromagnitudes and employed persons are also presented.
Since 2008, the Annual commerce survey has been adapted to the new National classification of economic activities (CNAE-2009). This change involves a shift in the series that prevents inter-annual comparison between most sectors and some variables.
The correspondences between the sectors used and the Catalan classification of economic activities (CCAE-2009) is as follows:
|CCAE-2009||Groups of activities|
|45||Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|46||Wholesale trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|47||Retail trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|49-53||Transportation and storage|
|58-63||Information and communication|
|68||Real estate activities|
|69-75||Professional, scientific and technical activities|
|77-82||Administrative and support service activities|
|90-93||Arts, entertainment and recreation|
Several methodological improvements were applied to the Structural Business Statistics in 2016. The results for 2016 are therefore not strictly comparable with those for previous years.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".