- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Demography · Society
- Culture · Language
- Publishing production. Legal deposit in Catalonia. By type of document. Provinces
Publishing production. Legal deposit in Catalonia. By type of document. Provinces. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Legal Deposit
- Office that receives editorial and audiovisual productions. Its main function is to collect and preserve all production on any support and enable access to the same. The items that are provided to the Legal Deposit of Catalonia can be consulted by users of three centres: the Library of Catalonia, the provincial public libraries of Barcelona, Girona, Lleida and Tarragona, and the National Library of Spain.
Data on publishing production is taken from different sources (INE, the Generalitat de Catalunya's Ministry of Culture data from the Spanish ISBN Agency, and the Library of Catalonia, with data on legal deposits). The divergence of the data is the result of each source relating to different phases of the publishing process. So, while the ISBN registration is made before publication and is in the name of the publisher, the legal deposit is made at the time of printing and is in the name of the printer.
The statistics reflect all documents presented to the Legal Deposit offices of Library of Catalonia over the year, regardless of the year of the legal deposit and therefore the year of publication.
- Books: Includes offprints of magazines (not magazine or newspaper supplements), revisions of pre-existing monographs and the first issue of collector's series.
- Coursebooks: contains explanations of a subject, and is used by school and university students.
- Facsimile/collector's editions: editions that are published in limited quantities for a small audience. Copies are numbered and of a high, formal quality.
- Pamphlets <16 pages: 5 to 16 page documents.
- Pamphlets >16 pages: 17 to 48 page documents.
- Loose pages: Printed documents with 1 to 4 pages. Laminas, prayer sheets and auca (cartoon strips), for example, are not considered loose sheets.
- Electronic resources (periodical publ.): e-books and books that are published or disseminated via the internet. Includes doctoral theses published on TDC@t.
- Others graphic documents: Sticker albums, stickers, trading cards, printed games, playing cards, etc.
- Other audiovisual documents: audio and audiovisual files in other formats, for example memory cards.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".