- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Demography · Society
- Culture · Language
- Sports facilities. By type. Counties and Aran, and areas
Sports facilities. By type. Counties and Aran, and areas. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Sports space
- Type of sports facility. According to their basic characteristics, these are classified into three main categories: 1) conventional, spaces constructed for the practice of the most traditional sports; 2) singular, spaces constructed for the practice of sports (though possibly regulated) whose size and characteristics are adapted to each use; 3) activity areas, not strictly sporting spaces, such as natural infrastructures or spaces, where physical and sporting activities can be practiced.
- Sports facility
- Construction made especially for or adapted for sports and physical activity, which must be available for collective use (not exclusively for family use), and may be public or private. Excluded are spaces belonging to any hospital or care centre, and spaces of a well-defined non-sporting nature.
Data published on sports equipment and participation provided by the Catalan Sports Council.
The Catalan Sports Council has managed the Census of Sports Facilities in Catalonia (CEEC). This census provides updated information on sports facility data on December 31.
In consideration of the characteristics of sports facilties, data is offered on the following types of sports facility and by types from 2000 to 2018:
- pavilions (indoor multisport courts >400 m2)
- multisport courts (multisport courts and other courts >400 m2)
- multisport fields (multisport fields, specialised and oher sport fields >2000 m2; since 2013, >1500m2)
- sports halls (sports, specialised and other halls >50 m2)
- fronton courts
- tennis courts
- open air pools (open air swimming pool basins >50 m2)
- indoor pools (indoor swimming pool basins >50 m2)
- athletic tracks (athletic tracks of a minimum length of 200 m)
- petanque courts
- other spaces (velodromes, skate parks and other convetional athletic and arenas, and other small and non-regulatory spaces)
Areas of activity and singular spaces:
- bicycle parks
- artificial climbing walls
- archery ranges
- motor racing tracks
- golf and pitch and putt courses
- sports activity centres with refuges, footpaths, cross-country biking, marinas, etc.
- other singular spaces (skiing, equestrian, minigolf, skateboarding, etc.)
Since 2017, the CEEC (Sports Facilities Census in Catalonia) has included private residential and tourist installations (neighbourhood communities, hotels, campsites, rural houses, etc.). In parallel to the increase in the number of outdoor pools, many tennis courts and, to a lesser extent, sports courts were added to the CEEC in 2017. The above are the three chief kinds of sports facilities located within residential and tourist installations.
In 2019 the Catalan Sports Council changed the classification of facilities as a result of the updating of the methodological base of the CEEC (Census of Catalan Sports Facilities):
- Multi-purpose pitches: multi-purpose pitches and athletics facilities.
- Pools: outdoor and indoor pools.
- Multi-purpose tracks: outdoors tracks and sports halls.
- Specialised courts: tennis and paddle courts.
- Other conventional facilities: halls, squash, fronton and pétanque courts, other conventional facilities not included in the previous categories.
- Unique facilities: horse riding, golf, racetracks and motor racing facilities, climbing walls and other unique spaces not included in the previous categories.
Areas of sporting activity:
- Urban area: areas of activity in urban environment.
- Natural area: areas of activity in natural environment.
- Itineraries: walking and running itineraries.
- Bicycle circuits: itineraries and lanes for bicycles.
The new county of El Moianès was created on 1 May 2015 (Law 4/2015, of 23 April, on the creation of the county of El Moianès) from the aggregation of five municipalities of the county of El Bages, one from the county of Osona and four from the county of El Vallès Oriental.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".