Definition of concepts
- Consumption of goods
- Number of purchases of goods (assets acquired by the company to be resold without subjecting them to a transformation process) made by the company during the reference year, less the changes in good inventories. The purchases are accounted for without including VAT and in net terms, in other words, by deducting discounts for immediate payment, sales returns and quantity discounts.
- Personnel costs
- Total amount of payments made by the company as wages and salaries, compensations, Social Security paid by the company and other social costs (long term retributions via contributory systems or defined allowances, retributions to personnel via patrimony instruments and other social expenses).
- Expenditure on external services
- Sum of all the different operating expenses incurred by the company during the reference year, including R&D expenses, leases and fees, repairs and maintenance, services of independent professionals, third-party transport, non-social insurance premiums, banking services and the like, advertising, publicity and public relations, supplies and other services.
- The smallest combination of legal units constituting an organisational unit for the production of goods or services, one having certain autonomy in terms of decision-making, principally for allocating the resources it has at its disposal.
- Gross investment in material assets
- Amount of the increases in value produced for different types of asset, which originate from purchases of new or used assets from third parties, from the production of one's own assets or from work done by the company or third parties on already existing elements in order to increase production capacity, performance or useful life. This is the gross investment. Until 2007, the investment was calculated as a difference between real increases in the value of capital and the sales of said resources. Investment operations are accounted for as their total value. Purchases are valued at acquisition cost, without including deductible VAT but including transport, installation costs, registration and notary costs and other non deductible taxes. Work done by the company using its resources is valued at cost price. Does not include investments in property made to obtain income or capital gains.
- It includes the amounts invoiced by the company during the reference year for sales of goods and services corresponding to the company's ordinary activities. These sales are accounted for in net terms, in other words, by deducting sales discounts for immediate payment, sales returns, the value of returned packaging and quantity discounts. The taxes and duties on invoiced goods and services are included but the VAT transferred to the customer is excluded.
The main source of trade statistics is the Structural business statistics in the trade sector, called the Annual Trade Survey prior to the reference year 2014, conducted by the INE in accordance with European Union regulations, whereby the statistics for Catalonia are exploited by Idescat. General information is obtained on the evolution of commerce and three main groups or sections that it is made up of:
- sale and repair of motor vehicles and motocycles
This breakdown presents the tables showing the main results for macromagnitudes and employed persons. In turn, these large groups are subdivided into branches that cover all specialities of commerce. For this smaller breakdown, tables showing macromagnitudes and employed persons are also presented.
Since 2008, the Annual commerce survey has been adapted to the new National classification of economic activities (CNAE-2009). This change involves a shift in the series that prevents inter-annual comparison between most sectors and some variables.
The correspondences between the sectors used and the Catalan classification of economic activities (CCAE-2009) is as follows:
|CCAE-2009||Groups of activities|
|45||Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|46||Wholesale trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|47||Retail trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|49-53||Transportation and storage|
|58-63||Information and communication|
|68||Real estate activities|
|69-75||Professional, scientific and technical activities|
|77-82||Administrative and support service activities|
|90-93||Arts, entertainment and recreation|
Several methodological improvements were applied to the Structural Business Statistics in 2016. The results for 2016 are therefore not strictly comparable with those for previous years.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".