Definition of concepts
- Population residing abroad
- People that habitually live abroad, that are Spanish nationals, whether or not this is their only nationality, and the municipality in which they were last recorded in the Municipal census of inhabitants is a municipality in Catalonia. The reference date is January 1 of each year.
The statistics on the population residing abroad are obtained from the Census of inhabitants residing abroad. This is an official statistical activity, covered by Law 2/2006, of March 6, under the name of Census of Catalan residents abroad. The objective is to find out the number and basic characteristics of the Catalans residing abroad on the basis of an exploitation of the Census of Spanish residents abroad, on January 1 of each year.
The Population register of inhabitants residing abroad is the administrative register of persons that habitually live abroad, are of Spanish nationality, whether or not that is their only nationality, and the last municipality in which they were registered was any of those that there are in Catalonia. The objective is to obtain tabulations of the number and basic characteristics of Catalans residing abroad on the basis of an initial exploitation of the Population register of Spaniards residing abroad in relation to persons for whom the last municipality for which they were registered was in Catalonia. The reference date is January 1 of each year.
Law 4/1996, of January 10, which modifies Law 7/1985, of April 2, to regulate the bases for the local regime in relation to the Municipal population register, established that the General state administration should produce a Population register of Spaniards residing abroad. "Persons registered in this register are considered inhabitants of the municipality that figures in the data of their last registration only for purposes of exercising the right to vote, and do not form part, in any cases, of the population of the aforesaid municipality."
It is constituted using data existing in the Register of each consular office or consular section of diplomatic missions. On this issue, Royal decree 3425/2000, of December 15, on the registration of Spaniards in the registers of consular offices abroad, states:
Article 1. The Consular Register
1. In order to comply with their functions, consular offices and, if relevant, consular sections of diplomatic missions of Spain maintain a Register of Spanish nationals living in their respective consular regions, whether regular inhabitants or there in transit.
2. The Consular Register will include two categories of persons registered: residents and non residents.
3. Considered residents shall be Spaniards that habitually reside in the consular region and those that move their habitual residence there. Those registered as residents will be included in the Population register of Spaniards residing abroad and those that are adults will also be included in the corresponding Electoral roll of absent residents.
Article 2. Obligatory registration
1. Spaniards that habitually reside abroad and those that move their habitual residence there must register in the Registry at the consular office or consular section of the diplomatic mission corresponding to their circumscription.
2. The father or mother must request the registration of minor children under their parental custody, if they are in their company. The same obligation is incurred by tutors or guardians with respect to minors under their own custody. The content and procedures for forming and updating the Population register of Spaniards residing abroad are indicated in the Regulation on the population and territorial demarcation of local entities.
Current Territorial Distribution
At present, Catalonia is divided into 41 counties, 1 singular territorial entity (Aran) and 8 areas of the Territorial Plan, according to the latest territorial changes, which affect the areas of El Penedès and the Central Counties, Aran and El Moianès.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".