Library Statistics. 2016

In 2016, 847 libraries were registered in Catalonia, 8 more than in 2014, according to the Library Statistics. The number of Internet users increased by 14.8% (4.7 million), while the number of visitors fell by 3.7% (39.7 million) in comparison with 2014.

The proportion of libraries per inhabitant remained stable, at 1.1 per 10,000 inhabitants. The highest means were recorded in El Pallars Sobirà (5.8), L'Alta Ribagorça (5.2) and Les Garrigues (4.7). At the other extreme, the lowest density of libraries was recorded in El Baix Llobregat, with 0.7 libraries per 10,000 inhabitants.

By types of librarie, 452 were public (accessible to all citizens), accounting for 53.4% of the total, 37.7% were specialized libraries and the remaining types accounted for 8.9%.

In 2016 there were 704 libraries with Wi-Fi, accounting for 83.1% of the total. 82.5% had web page and 97% had Internet access.

In 2016, the total number of personnel at the service of libraries stood at 5,172, a figure very similar to the one in 2014 (5,183). 77.5% of the above were employees and the remaining 22.5% were interns and volunteers. Expenditure on libraries totalled 188.2 million euros. Most of the above was devoted to expenditure on personnel (64.4%).

The Library Statistics (BIB) are collected on a biennial basis. The objective of these Library Statistics is to produce statistical information on the main characteristics of libraries, their structure and functions, the equipment they have, the volume and qualifications of their personnel, and also their expenses and the services they offer. In Catalonia these Statistics are drawn up by means of an agreement with the INE, in partnership with the Ministry of Culture.

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • LinkedIn
  • Menéame
  • Digg

Share this address: https://idescat.cat/en/n2918

You are here:

  • News
  • Library Statistics. 2016