|Livestock units (2)||2,591,406||2,683,236||2,738,275||2,606,839||2,622,146||2,637,710||2,787,757||2,218,838||2,111,614|
|Source: Idescat, based on data from the Survey on Farm Structure of INE.|
|- (1) Total operations with livestock units.|
|- (2) Does not include apiculture (bees).|
|- The 1999 data has been adapted to the population researched in the Agricultural Census 2009 in order to assist with comparability.|
Definition of concepts
- Livestock operation
- The entirety of the animals, equipment or buildings and other assets and rights that are commercialised by their owner for livestock production, primarily for market purposes, which is located on an estate or contiguous group of estates operated by a single owner. Livestock operation that is divided by pathways or other roads open to traffic is still considered as such.
- Includes animals on the operation, plus transhumant livestock and livestock as part of an integration or contract scheme i.e. that implies dependence on supplies and sales.
- Livestock unit (UR)
- Unit used to measure the livestock sector that is obtained by applying a coefficient to each species and type in order to be able to express different species in terms of the same equivalent unit.
Agricultural statistics are generated within the framework of the EU programme on surveys on farm structure conducted by all EU members in order have up-to-date, comparable information on the member states, with the purpose of being used a basic tool for designing the Common Agricultural Policy. This programme establishes that an Agricultural Census shall be performed every ten years and sample-based surveys in the intervening years. For the cycle that starts with the Agricultural census 2009, two triennial surveys are established.
In these censuses, which are exhaustive, all the existing farms are researched, which from 2009, must comply with certain minimum criteria, while in the Surveys on Farm Structure the population studied complies with some less broad minimum criteria and the data is selected by sampling.
The introduction of these methodological changes with respect to previous editions means that the data is not directly comparable.
What is more, the census questionnaire also includes an additional sheet through which information of interest to the Catalan agricultural sector can be gathered.
Between 1989 and 2007, these statistical operations were conducted by Idescat with the support of the Department of Agriculture, Livestock, Fishing, Food and the Environment.
In 2009, the INE became the responsible body for the Agricultural census for Spain as a whole and in Catalonia it works in collaboration with Idescat and the Department of Agriculture, Livestock, Fishing, Food and the Environment, in accordance with the corresponding collaboration agreements.
The Survey on Farm Structure shows the biennial data series for intercensal periods up to 2007. The series will be triennial from 2013 onwards. From 2013 onwards, the thematic sections will include a section on Rural Development and another on Standard Production, which substitutes the processing of economic data on operations which was based on the gross margin until 2007.
Furthermore, in conjunction with DARP, Idescat has generated a variety of informative documents setting out the main results of the Agricultural Census and the Survey on Farm Structure, prior to 2009. The document devoted to the Agricultural Census contains a compilation of the main variables and compares them with the corresponding previous censuses, pointing out and commenting on the basic factors in their evolution in the intervening period.
The documents devoted to Survey on Farm Structure provide data on the main variables in this survey and compare them with the universe of reference of the corresponding Agricultural Census.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Agricultural sector
- Livestock operations. By species
- Livestock operations. By species. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Livestock units. By species. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Head of livestock. By species
- Head of bovine livestock. Provinces
- Head of ovine and caprine livestock. Provinces
- Head of swine livestock. Provinces
- Head of livestock. By species. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Milk production. Provinces
- Meat production. By species
- Production of eggs for consumption. Provinces
- Production of wool. By type. Provinces
- Production of honey and wax. Provinces
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Environment · Territory