Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
On 25 September 2015, the United Nations General Assembly passed the Resolution 'Transforming our world': the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (A/RES/70/1), which contains 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 associated milestones, to be achieved by the year 2030. The SDGs cover the social, economic, environmental and institutional dimension of sustainability and tackle five major spheres: the planet, people, prosperity, peace and partnership.
Paragraph 75 of the Resolution states that the monitoring and evaluation of the SDGs and the associated milestones will be conducted using a set of worldwide indicators that are complemented by regional and national indicators.
In accordance with this Resolution, and with the central role that the United Nations General Assembly gives to official statistics and data in Resolution A/RES/71/313, in order to monitor and assess the degree of compliance with the SDGs in Catalonia, the Annual Statistical Action Programmes include in the official Catalan statistics a system based on two sets of annual indicators. The aim of these indicators is to provide, in a progressive and continuous manner, statistical data and metadata on sustainable development in Catalonia. These indicators are as follows:
- EU Sustainable Development Goal indicators for Catalonia, which are based on Eurostat's methodological criteria.
- UN Sustainable Development Goal indicators for Catalonia, which are based on the methodological criteria of the United Nations.
The Statistical Institute of Catalonia and the Advisory Council for Sustainable Development (CADS), which falls under the authority of the Ministry of Climate Action, Food and Rural Agenda, in collaboration with the rest of the Generalitat de Catalunya ministries, are responsible for drawing up, maintaining and updating these two indicator sets, in accordance with that established in the Catalan National Plan for the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda in Catalonia.
Sustainable development goal indicators
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Advisory Council for Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Development Goals. Eurostat
- Sustainable Development Goals. United Nations
- Indicators of the Sustainable Development Goals (EU). 2021 Annual Statistical Action Programme. Idescat
- Indicators of the Sustainable Development Goals (UN). 2021 Annual Statistical Action Programme. Idescat