|Units: % of the GDP.|
|Source Catalonia: Ministry of Education; Ministry of Business and Knowledge. Source Spain, eurozone and European Union: Eurostat.|
|- The data on GDP of Catalonia have been updated according to the 2019 Benchmark revision.|
|- Until year 2011, Spain, Eurozone and European Union data are classified according to ISCED-97, and consider GDP base 2008. From year 2012 onwards consider GDP base 2010.|
|- From year 2012 onwards, European Union data do not include information about ISCED-2011 early childhood education (01 category).|
|(b) Break in time series.|
|(p) Provisional value.|
|(..) Confidential data, low reliability or not available.|
Last update: April 14, 2020. Revised series on December 14, 2020.
This indicator shows total public expenditure on education as a percentage of GDP.
Public expenditure on education is considered to be both that which is destined to finance the current and capital expenditures of public and private educational centres and institutions, and that which is transferred to students in the form of public grants or loans.
The statistics make reference to the school and university system, according to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011. Regarding the previous classification (ISCED-97), the new classification ISCED-2011 introduces the changes brought about by the Bologna Plan in tertiary education. This one incorporates also educational programmes for early childhood (early childhood education aged 0–2 years), not included in ISCED-97.
The calculation of expenditure on education in Catalonia is made with information from the following organisations:
- Government of Catalonia (Ministry of Education, Secretariat for Universities and Research with responsibility for education, and other bodies with educational assignments)
- Public universities
- Local administration
- Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport
Information on the expenditure of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport comes from the Public Expenditure on Education in Spain statistics, which the Ministry presents for Spain. Idescat makes a territorial disaggregation for Catalonia of the expenditure deducted from the transfers to the autonomous communities and from the expenditure of the pensions of teaching staff under the Passive Class System, according to different available parameters.
The indicator of public expenditure on education in relation to GDP for Catalonia is calculated on the estimates of the Spanish Regional Accountancy of the INE (2019 Benchmark revision), of the GDP for Catalonia.
Available tables [+]
Demography · Society
- Population figures
- Foreign population
- Households, families and marriages
- Births and deaths
- Students enrolled. By educational levels
- Students of tertiary education levels. By study areas
- Population aged 20 to 24 that has completed secondary education. By sex
- Tertiary educational attainment. By sex. Age group 30-34
- Early leavers from education and training. By sex
- Life-long learning of the population aged 25 to 64. By sex
- Public expenditure on education relative to GDP
- Quality of life
- Economic sectors
- Environment · Territory