|Source Catalonia: Ministry of Territory and Sustainability. Catalan Waste Agency. Source Spain and European Union: Eurostat.|
Last update: September 23, 2021.
The indicator measures the tonnage recycled from municipal waste divided by the total municipal waste arising. Recycling includes material recycling, composting and anaerobic digestion. Municipal waste consists mostly of waste generated by households, but may also include similar wastes generated by small businesses and public institutions and collected by the municipality. This latter part of municipal waste may vary from municipality to municipality and from country to country, depending on the local waste management system. For areas not covered by a municipal waste collection scheme the amount of waste generated is estimated.
The Member States report each year the amount recycled and the total municipal waste generated to Eurostat. Data collection, validation and dissemination are performed by the EDC Waste hosted at Eurostat.
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
- Economic sectors
Environment · Territory
- Bathing sites with excellent water quality
- Population connected to at least secondary waste water treatment
- Recycling rate of municipal waste
- Share of forest area
- Mean near-surface temperature deviation
- Greenhouse gas emissions intensity of energy consumption
- Material flows
- Material productivity
- Municipal waste generated
- Municipal waste. By type of treatment method
- Greenhouse gas emissions
- Air Pollution