- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Demography · Society
- Population figures
- Population structure
Population on 1 January. By large age groups. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
|0-14||15-64||65 i més|
|Units: Per cent.|
|Source: Idescat. Population Estimates.|
Last update: December 5, 2022.Statistics EP
Definition of concepts
- Intercensal population estimates
- Calculation of the population by sex and age that connects two censuses. Intercensal estimates replace postcensal once you have the results of a new census of population, and provide final series of population between two censuses.
- Postcensal population estimates
- Calculation of the population by sex and age in the years after the last census. The postcensal estimates provide the series of population from the last census available, that are calculated adding the natural movement and migration that are recorded annually.
The basic information on the population on 1 January and the population structure indicatorsare obtained from the Population Estimates.
The Population Estimates are statistical operations produced annually that provide a headcount of the resident population within Catalonia and its distribution by sex and age. The time reference for the postcensal population estimates is 1st January.
The postcensal population estimates are calculated based on the last available census and the demographic shifts from the corresponding year (birth, death and migration). The information they provide enable us to find out the levels of demographic growth and the shift in the population pyramid on a yearly basis. It also enables us to reliably calculate the demographic, social and economic indicators in which the population groups are the reference denominator, especially when these denominators must be disaggregated according to the features of sex and age.
The early postcensal estimates aim to provide a statistical estimation of the population classified by sex and age as early as possible with respect to the reference date. They are calculated in the second quarter of the year based on the provisional data for demographic flows. The results are kept updated until replaced by the Definitive Post-Census Estimates, calculated once figures for births, deaths and migrations are available for the year of reference.
By taking a new population census tally, the annual figures of the population estimates can be revised in the interim between two censuses, and from this the intercensal population estimates are generated. The production of intercensal estimates, then, consists of retroactively correcting the postcensal population estimates with the aid of the data from the new census. The level of disaggregation of the data is the same as for the postcensal estimates.
Current Territorial Distribution
At present, Catalonia is divided into 41 counties, 1 singular territorial entity (Aran) and 8 areas of the Territorial Plan, according to the latest territorial changes, which affect the areas of El Penedès and the Central Counties, Aran and El Moianès.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
Demography · Society
- Population density
- Population change
- Total population growth
- By sex and age groups
- By large age groups. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- By sex and age groups. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Age structure indicators
- By sex and marital status. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- By sex and marital status
- By place of birth. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- By nationality. Counties and Aran, areas and provinces
- Population residing abroad
- Censuses and demographic surveys
- Foreign population
- Households, families and marriages
- Births and deaths
- Commuting and seasonal population
- Names and surnames
- Population figures
- Culture · Language
- Justice · Public order and safety
- Quality of life
- Economic sectors
- Environment · Territory