1. What are they and what are they for
Territorial codes are instruments that allow defined, delimited territories to be identified both simply and unequivocally. These territories can include everything from municipalities in Catalonia to countries in the world.
Territorial nomenclatures (also called geonomenclatures) are lists of territorial codes ordered according to a given criterion (alphabetical order, geographical location, etc.) and organised into different territorial levels, with a hierarchical relationship between these levels.
One example of a territorial nomenclature is the Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics (abbreviated NUTS), a list of European regions organised into different territorial levels (levels of local administration, levels of groups of local administrations, levels of decentralisation of the state organisation, regional levels, state levels).
The purpose of these instruments of statistical standardisation is to be able to territorially index statistical information, thus ensuring both the spatial and temporal comparability of this information. Additionally, in Catalonia, they also contribute to advancing the linguistic normalisation of Catalan.
Catalonia has generated a harmonized system of codification of the local public sector that is adapted to the needs of statistical activity and information on local authorities, in accordance with current legislation.
This system is managed and disseminated by Municat.
Spanish, EU and international regulations
- Regulation (EC) No. 1059/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 May 2003 on the establishment of a common classification of territorial units for statistics (NUTS) (OJEC L 154 dated 21.06.2003)
- Commission Regulation (EU) No. 2066/2016 of 21 November 2016, amending the Annexes to Regulation (EC) No. 1059/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of Europe on the establishment of a common classification of territorial units for statistics (NUTS) (OJEU L 322, 11.29.2016)
- Commission Regulation (EU) 1106/2012 of 27 November 2012, implementing Regulation (EC) No 471/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council on Community statistics relating to foreign trade with third countries, as regards the updating of the nomenclature of countries and territories (OJEU L 328, 11.28.2012)
- ISO 3166-1. Third edition of 15 November 2013. Codes for the representation of names of countries and their subdivisions
- Regions in the European Union. Nomenclature of territorial units for statistics. NUTS 2013 / EU-28
- Geonom 2013. Nomenclature of countries and territories for statistics on foreign trade of the Community and trade between Member States