The Statistics on Main Characteristics of the Population and Housing is the result of a sample survey that complements the results of the Population and Housing Census, elaborated from the statistical use of administrative registers. The main objective of the survey is to obtain information on variables for which there is no information from administrative registers (such as characteristics of people, households or dwellings) and thus give continuity to the existing census series.
The Statistics is a sample-based survey carried out by INE throughout Spain as of 2021 on a five-yearly basis. Idescat processes the data specifically for Catalonia, the provinces and municipalities with 50,000 inhabitants and over.
Regarding people, information is provided on languages (knowledge, linguistic uses and initial language), daily mobility and care for dependent persons, among others. In relation to main dwellings and buildings, data are included on housing facilities, tenure status and the state of conservation of buildings, among others. Regarding households, data is presented on kinship relations between household members, separate collection of waste and ownership of second homes, among others.
The dissemination of the results of the Statistics on Main Characteristics of the Population and Housing includes data on languages (knowledge, linguistic uses and initial language) and dwellings. During the second semester of 2023, Idescat plans to publish data on people, and households and families.
Geographical area: Catalonia
In other sections
Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Households. By type according to nucleus
- Population aged 25 and older living with a partner. By sex and age groups
- Population aged 2 and over. By knowldedge of the main languages
- Population aged 2 and over. By knowldedge of Catalan and five-year age group
- Population aged 2 and over. By knowldedge of Catalan, place of birth and sex
- Population aged 15 and over. By knowldedge of Catalan and level of education