|Rental activities||Activities related with occupancy||Travel agents and tour operators||Security and research activities||Services for buildings & gardening||Administr., office and auxiliary services||Total|
|Employed persons (number)||10,933||49,412||11,624||24,932||119,242||75,570||291,712|
|Work done for the asset||10,792||582||6,495||22,996||2,746||30,903||74,515|
|Other operating income||105,411||4,596||52,170||8,401||24,901||213,768||409,248|
|Invent. var. prim. mat., supplies and merchandise||-5,299||1||-8,696||-3,548||1,235||-1,268||-17,576|
|Inventory variation in products finished and in progress||262||-51||0||649||15,376||-15,423||814|
|Consumption of goods||194,429||807||475,431||57,280||151,575||234,815||1,114,338|
|Consumption of raw materials and other supplies||406,791||18,977||14,091||52,777||232,708||314,429||1,039,772|
|Work done by other companies||114,399||37,927||202,635||52,605||184,817||527,214||1,119,597|
|Wages and salaries||247,787||952,684||206,539||481,402||1,543,105||1,506,587||4,938,102|
|Social burdens and other personnel costs||68,929||314,041||67,582||163,504||477,942||439,063||1,531,062|
|Expenditure on external services||612,084||185,181||396,433||118,963||442,268||1,160,400||2,915,330|
|Provision for amortizations||615,920||6,359||24,867||20,869||65,056||136,839||869,910|
|Other operating expenses||65,109||5,297||76,624||19,157||42,749||218,397||427,333|
|Gross investment in tangible assets||817,852||5,479||7,077||6,962||36,375||77,451||951,196|
|Gross investment in intangible assets||10,697||2,698||5,656||1,331||4,982||133,073||158,438|
|Result of the financial year||2,981||7,379||-156,827||27,651||3,431||547,771||432,386|
|Units: Thousands of euros.|
|Source: Idescat, based on the INE's Structural business statistics in the service sector.|
Definition of concepts
- Consumption of goods
- Number of purchases of goods (assets acquired by the company to be resold without subjecting them to a transformation process) made by the company during the reference year, less the changes in good inventories. The purchases are accounted for without including VAT and in net terms, in other words, by deducting discounts for immediate payment, sales returns and quantity discounts.
- Personnel costs
- Total amount of payments made by the company as wages and salaries, compensations, Social Security paid by the company and other social costs (long term retributions via contributory systems or defined allowances, retributions to personnel via patrimony instruments and other social expenses).
- Operating expenses
- TTotal amount obtained as a result of adding up the different expenses linked to the operations performed by the company: consumption and work performed by other companies, personnel expenses, external services and other operating expenses.
- Expenditure on external services
- Sum of all the different operating expenses incurred by the company during the reference year, including R&D expenses, leases and fees, repairs and maintenance, services of independent professionals, third-party transport, non-social insurance premiums, banking services and the like, advertising, publicity and public relations, supplies and other services.
- The smallest combination of legal units constituting an organisational unit for the production of goods or services, one having certain autonomy in terms of decision-making, principally for allocating the resources it has at its disposal.
- Operating revenue
- Total amount obtained as a result of aggregating the different revenue associated to the operation.
- Gross investment in intangible assets
- Amount of expenditure (acquisitions or own production) on research and development activities, investment in IT applications and other intangible assets, such as concessions, patents, licences, trade funds, similar rights and others. These operations are accounted for by their total value without including VAT.
- Gross investment in material assets
- Amount of the increases in value produced for different types of asset, which originate from purchases of new or used assets from third parties, from the production of one's own assets or from work done by the company or third parties on already existing elements in order to increase production capacity, performance or useful life. This is the gross investment. Until 2007, the investment was calculated as a difference between real increases in the value of capital and the sales of said resources. Investment operations are accounted for as their total value. Purchases are valued at acquisition cost, without including deductible VAT but including transport, installation costs, registration and notary costs and other non deductible taxes. Work done by the company using its resources is valued at cost price. Does not include investments in property made to obtain income or capital gains.
- Annual balance
- Total amount of the profit or loss for the year as obtained as a consequence of the company's activity.
- Changes in inventories of raw materials, other supplies and goods
- Amount corresponding to the difference between the final inventories and initial inventories of raw materials, other supplies and goods. These inventories are valued at acquisition cost.
- Changes in inventories in products finished and in progress
- Amount corresponding to the difference between the final and initial inventories of the different products (finished, semi-finished and in progress, by-products, waste and recovered materials) manufactured by the company. These inventories are valued at production cost.
- It includes the amounts invoiced by the company during the reference year for sales of goods and services corresponding to the company's ordinary activities. These sales are accounted for in net terms, in other words, by deducting sales discounts for immediate payment, sales returns, the value of returned packaging and quantity discounts. The taxes and duties on invoiced goods and services are included but the VAT transferred to the customer is excluded.
The Structural Business Statistics in the Service Sector, called the Annual Services Survey prior to the reference year 2014, is a sample-based survey that is produced annually by the INE in order to study the economic characteristics of companies in almost all of the market services sector (number of establishments, employment, income and operating costs, etc.) and estimate the main micromagnitudes. Idescat makes a detailed treatment for Catalonia and collaborates with the publishing of questionnaires.
The information about professional, scientific and technical activities, administrative and support service activities; that Idescat has produced using data from the from the INE is presented in two tables: main results and macromagnitudes.
Since 2008, the Annual services survey has been adapted to the new National classification of economic activities (CNAE-2009). This change involves a shift in the series that prevents inter-annual comparison between most sectors and some variables.
The correspondences between the sectors used and the Catalan classification of economic activities (CCAE-2009) is as follows:
|CCAE-2009||Groups of activities|
|45||Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|46||Wholesale trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|47||Retail trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles|
|49-53||Transportation and storage|
|58-63||Information and communication|
|68||Real estate activities|
|69-75||Professional, scientific and technical activities|
|77-82||Administrative and support service activities|
|90-93||Arts, entertainment and recreation|
In 2009, 2010 and 2010, the "Other services" group was partially studied. From the year 2012 onwards, the two branches of this group will be studied again.
|Repair of computers and personal and household goods (div. 95)||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Other personal service activities (div. 96)||YES||–||–||–||YES|
Several methodological improvements were applied to the Structural Business Statistics in 2016. The results for 2016 are therefore not strictly comparable with those for previous years.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
- Main aggregates
Companies · Finances
- Credit system
- Financial market
Main aggregates of professional activities, administrative and other services
- Professional, scientific and specialist activities. Main results. By branches
- Professional, scientific and specialist activities. Macromagnitudes. By branches
- Administrative activities and auxiliary services. Main results. By branches
- Administrative activities and auxiliary services. Macromagnitudes. By branches
- Other services. Main results. By branches
- Other services. Main aggregates. By branches
- Public sector finance
- Foreign investment and trade
- Research · Technology
- Economic sectors
- Environment · Territory