|Population of 2 years and over||Understand||%||Speak||%||Read||%||Write||%||Don't understand||%|
|From 2 to 14 years||1,026||995||96.97||972||94.73||837||81.57||833||81.20||31||3.02|
|From 15 to 29 years||1,239||1,209||97.56||1,183||95.50||1,199||96.75||1,162||93.78||30||2.45|
|From 30 to 44 years||1,568||1,494||95.32||1,384||88.25||1,444||92.08||1,315||83.87||74||4.69|
|From 45 to 59 years||1,744||1,671||95.81||1,566||89.81||1,626||93.21||1,471||84.36||73||4.19|
|From 60 to 74 years||1,205||1,160||96.22||1,055||87.50||1,101||91.35||932||77.30||46||3.78|
|From 75 to 84 years||466||435||93.47||364||78.14||386||82.86||294||63.11||31||6.57|
|From 85 years and over||220||200||91.26||165||75.14||171||77.96||133||60.66||19||8.74|
|Units: Thousands of people.|
|Source: Idescat, based on the INE's Survey on Main Characteristics of the Population and Housing.|
Last update: July 6, 2023.
These statistics have a specific section with all the information available: Statistics on Main Characteristics of the Population and Housing (CEPH).
Definition of concepts
- Knowledge of Catalan
- The data in these statistics correspond to the population of two years or more by knowledge of catalan. It is considered: A person «understands» Catalan if they are able to understand a conversation in Catalan on an everyday subject. A person «can read» Catalan if they are able to read everyday texts, such as announcements, newspapers, etc. A person «can speak» Catalan if they are able to maintain a conversation in Catalan on an everyday subject. A person «can write» Catalan if they are able to write notes, postcards, etc. sufficiently correctly, even if not totally correctly.
The Statistics on Main Characteristics of the Population and Housing is a sample survey that complements the results of the Population and Housing Census. The main objective of the survey is to obtain information on variables for which there is no information from administrative registers and thus give continuity to the existing census series.
In the Statistics on Main Characteristics of the Population and Housing 2021, the question on knowledge of Catalan has changed with respect to that of the Population Census. Thus, instead of the answer options 'yes' and 'no' in the Statistics there are three options: 'well', 'with difficulty' and 'not at all'.
Idescat publishes information on the knowledge and uses of the 7 most popular languages in Catalonia: Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Arabic, Italian and German.
You can get more information about these statistics in the methodology.
Available tables [+]
Demography · Society
- Population figures
- Foreign population
- Households, families and marriages
- Births and deaths
- Commuting and seasonal population
Culture · Language
- Publishing production
- Cinema: Screens, audiences and takings
- Sports facilities
- Knowldedge of Catalan
- Language uses of the Population. First language, language of identification and habitual language
- Language uses of the Population. By areas of use
- Exclusive use of Catalan. By areas of use
- Knowledge of languages: Catalan, Spanish, English and French
- Justice · Public order and safety
- Quality of life
- Economic sectors
- Environment · Territory