|Total overnight stays||7,318.6||-57.4|
|Terres de Lleida||..||..|
|Terres de l'Ebre||362.2||-36.4|
|Source: Idescat, based on the INE's Tourism Campsite Occupancy Survey.|
|Note: Between 14 March and 21 June 2020, it is in force the Royal Decree 463/2020, of 14 March, which declares the state of alarm for the management of the health crisis situation caused by Covid-19.|
|(z) Category not applicable.|
|(..) Confidential data, low reliability or not available.|
The Campsite Occupancy Survey (until 1998 called the Survey of Movements by Travellers in Campsites) of the INE is one of the statistical sources for measuring tourism activity. Its main objective is to understand the behaviour of a series of variables that describe the fundamental characteristics of this type of accommodation in these tourism sectors: travellers, overnight stays and occupancy rate.
The survey is aimed at campsites registered in the Tourism General Direction register, the one that can be consulted in the lists of tourism establishments published by the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Families.
Campsites are understood to means establishments that by charging a price, provide a temporary accommodation service in duly delimited public spaces, used for the grouped coexistence of people in the open air, using tents, caravans, camper vans and other mobile homes or in chalets. They are classified into four categories: luxury and first, second or third class, depending on the size of the camping units, the existing facilities, the services offered and the staff available.
Traveller means any person who stays for one or more consecutive nights in the same campsite. The survey classifies travellers by their country of residence which makes it possible to distinguish between domestic tourism (people resident in Spain) and foreign tourism (people resident outside Spain). In the case of people resident in Spain, information is requested about the autonomous community they are from.
An overnight stay or occupied vacancy is each night that a traveller stays in these types of establishment.
The occupancy rate per plot is the percentage relationship between total plots occupied in the period and those available on the campsite in the same period, multiplied by the days in the reference month.
On the basis of INE data, Idescat expands on the quarterly results for Catalonia according to the category of the establishments and tourism brands of destination.
Until year 2003, Terres de l'Ebre tourism brand was included in Costa Daurada and Val d'Aran formed part of the Pirineus. At the end of the year 2011, the Tourism Catalan Agency aproved the creation of a new tourism brand named Costa Barcelona. This brand includes the territory of the disappeared brands Costa del Garraf and Costa de Barcelona-Maresme.
In 2015, two changes were made to the tourism brands, approved by the Catalan Tourist Board. The first change is that the counties El Vallès Oriental and El Vallès Occidental, which used to be a part of the Catalunya Central brand, as of 2015 will come under the Costa Barcelona brand. The second change is to the name of the brand: Catalunya Central will now be known as Paisatges de Barcelona.
Thus, Catalonia is divided in 9 tourism brands:
- Barcelona: Barcelonès
- Costa Brava: Alt Empordà, Baix Empordà, Gironès, Pla de l'Estany and Selva
- Costa Daurada: Alt Camp, Baix Camp, Baix Penedès, Conca de Barberà, Priorat and Tarragonès
- Costa Barcelona: Alt Penedès, Baix Llobregat, Garraf, Maresme, Vallès Occidental and Vallès Oriental
- Paisatges Barcelona: Anoia, Bages and Osona
- Pirineus: Alt Urgell, Alta Ribagorça, Berguedà, Cerdanya, Garrotxa, Pallars Jussà, Pallars Sobirà, Ripollès and Solsonès
- Terres de Lleida: Garrigues, Noguera, Pla d'Urgell, Segarra, Segrià and Urgell
- Terres de l'Ebre: Baix Ebre, Montsià, Ribera d'Ebre and Terra Alta
- Val d'Aran: Aran
Until 2011, the territorial disaggregation by tourism brands was calculated using special estimators for small areas. This methodology does not guarantee that the total amount is exactly the same as the result for the whole of Catalonia using the traditional estimator. However, the discrepancies are of little significance.
Given the limited implantation of this type of tourism in some brands of Catalonia, the year-over-year variation rates can be considerably volatile.
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
- Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Hotel establishments. Travellers, overnight stays and occupancy rate
- Hotel establishments. Travellers. By origin
- Hotel establishments. Travellers and occupancy rate. By categories
- Hotel establishments. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By origin
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By categories
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Hotel Sector Profitability Indicators. By categories
- Hotel Sector Profitability Indicators. By tourism brands
- Campsites. Travellers and overnight stays. By origin
- Campsites. Travellers and occupancy rate. By categories
- Campsites. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Campsites. Overnight stays. By categories
- Campsites. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Rural tourism. Travellers and overnight stays. By origin
- Rural tourism. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Rural tourism. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Foreign visitors. Tourists and day-trippers
- Foreign tourists. By country of residence
- Foreign tourists. Declared expenditure
- Foreign visitors (annual series 2004-2015). Tourists and other visitors. By origin
- Foreign tourists (annual series 2001-2015). Reason and characteristics of the trip
- Foreign tourists (annual series 2004-2015). Declared expenditure
- Tourism of residents in Catalonia. Trips and day trips
- Tourism of residents in Catalonia. Declared expenditure
- Tourism in Catalonia of residents in the rest of Spain. Trips and day trips
- Tourism in Catalonia of residents in the rest of Spain. Declared expenditure
- Tourist accomodation. Bed places
- Environment · Territory