|Total declared expenditure (€M)||15,705.1||3.9|
|Per person-trip (€)||903||0.3|
|Per person-day-trip (€)||124||3.3|
|Source: Egatur Survey by the Institute of Tourism Statistics (ITS).|
|Note: It considers information of foreign tourists expenditure whose main destination is Catalonia.|
|Total declared expenditure (€M)||67,309.4||6.8|
|Per person-trip (€)||987||1.6|
|Per person-day-trip (€)||113||3.7|
|Source: Institute of Tourism Statistics (ITS). Egatur Survey.|
Date published: March 31, 2016.Statistics TURDEST
Statistics are drawn up on trips made by foreign tourists in order to quantify and describe flows of visitors to Catalonia, and also to find out about declared expenditure by tourists.
Until the third quarter of 2015 data are obtained from the Survey of Tourism Expenditure (Egatur) produced by the Institute of Tourism Statistics (ITS). From the fourth quarter of 2015 on, the INE carries out the Egatur survey.
Using the restricted access databases provided by the ITS, Idescat expands on the results by providing greater disaggregation of the variable for Catalonia. It provides annual information on the total expenditure, expenditure per person-trip and expenditure per person-day-trip declared by the tourist.
Egatur is a continuous monthly survey that uses personal interviews with random stratified sampling for country of residence, means of access and frontier points. Is a basic tool for the analysis of the expenditure and the behaviour of visitors (tourists and excursionists) that are not residents in Spain that access the country by road or air. It is directly linked to the Inbound Tourism Survey (Frontur), which provides technical support in the field, the organization, the control method and the evaluation framework for the expenditure survey.
Total expenditure is that declared by the interviewee taking into account the cost of the trip, the accommodation and other expenditure produced during the trip.
In March 2009 Idescat began to use a new estimate methodology. Data for 2006, 2007 and 2008 have been revised as the Frontur data include methodological changes. These changes enhance the estimates of data for travellers who come to Spain through ports and by road (coaches). All other access routes (airport, train and light vehicles on roads) are not affected by the changes.
In the year 2013, the data from tourist spending is modified by a historical review of the series d'EGATUR of the IET.
In January 2014 the IET incorporated cruise travellers into the Egatur statistics and expanded the information on train travellers. The coverage of travellers who come to Catalonia was thereby increased.
As for cruises, foreign cruise travellers in transit (in other words, those who, once they reach port, continue on their cruise) are regarded as international travellers. As for trains, the railway flows with France have been redesigned, giving more weight to high-speed train journeys and removing routes which are no longer in operation.
The data is definitive.
Available tables [+]
- Demography · Society
- Quality of life
- Agriculture · Livestock · Fisheries
- Trade · Services
- Industry · Energy
- Hotel establishments. Travellers, overnight stays and occupancy rate
- Hotel establishments. Travellers. By origin
- Hotel establishments. Travellers and occupancy rate. By categories
- Hotel establishments. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By origin
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By categories
- Hotel establishments. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Hotel Sector Profitability Indicators. By categories
- Hotel Sector Profitability Indicators. By tourism brands
- Campsites. Travellers and overnight stays. By origin
- Campsites. Travellers and occupancy rate. By categories
- Campsites. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Campsites. Overnight stays. By categories
- Campsites. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Rural tourism. Travellers and overnight stays. By origin
- Rural tourism. Travellers and occupancy rate. By tourism brands
- Rural tourism. Overnight stays. By tourism brands
- Foreign visitors. Tourists and Excursionists.
- Foreign tourists. By country of residence
- Foreign tourists. Declared expenditure
- Foreign visitors (annual series 2004-2015). Tourists and other visitors. By origin
- Foreign tourists (annual series 2001-2015). Reason and characteristics of the trip
- Foreign tourists (annual series 2004-2015). Declared expenditure
- Tourism of residents in Catalonia. Trips and day trips
- Tourism of residents in Catalonia. Declared expenditure
- Tourism in Catalonia of residents in the rest of Spain. Trips and day trips
- Tourism in Catalonia of residents in the rest of Spain. Declared expenditure
- Tourist accomodation. Bed places
- Environment · Territory