- Statistical Yearbook of Catalonia
- Economic sectors
- Tourism occupancy
- Occupancy of hotel establishments. By origin of tourism
Occupancy of hotel establishments. By origin of tourism. Methodology
Definition of concepts
- Hotel establishment
- Commercial establishment for public use for accommodating people in transit in a place; they offer, at a price, collective accommodation with or without complementary services. Includes both hotels and pensions.
- Occupancy rate by rooms
- Ratio, as a percentage, between the average number of rooms occupied a day during the month and the total number of rooms available.
- Overnight stay
- Each of the nights that a traveller stays in an establishment used for collective accommodation or in a private form of tourist accommodation.
- Person who moves outside of their usual environment. Travellers are classified by their place of residence, which in the case of residents of Spain is the autonomous community they usually reside in. The term traveller in the occupancy section is used as a synonym of tourist or a person that stays for at least one night in any form of accommodation.
The Hotel Occupancy Survey of the INE is one of the statistical sources for measuring tourism activity. Its main objective is to understand the behaviour of a series of variables that describe the fundamental characteristics of this type of accommodation in these tourism sectors: travellers, overnight stays and occupancy rate.
The survey covers hotel establishments registered in the Tourism General Direction register, the one that can be consulted in the lists of tourism establishments published by the Ministry for Business and Labour.
On the basis of the INE's data, Idescat extends the monthly results for Catalonia according to the category of the establishments and tourist brands of destination.
In 2003, the Generalitat established a geo-touristic division of the country into 10 tourism brands. In 2012, the Catalan Tourism Agency approved the creation of a new tourism brand called Costa Barcelona. This brand covers the territory of the former brands of Costa del Garraf and Costa de Barcelona-Maresme. This means that Catalonia is now divided into nine tourism brands:
- Barcelona: Barcelonès
- Catalunya Central: Anoia, Bages, Osona, Vallès Occidental, Vallès Oriental
- Costa Brava: Alt Empordà, Baix Empordà, Gironès, Pla de l'Estany, Selva
- Costa Daurada: Alt Camp, Baix Camp, Baix Penedès, Conca de Barberà, Priorat, Tarragonès
- Costa Barcelona: Alt Penedès, Baix Llobregat, Garraf i Maresme.
- Pirineus: Alt Urgell, Alta Ribagorça, Berguedà, Cerdanya, Garrotxa, Pallars Jussà, Pallars Sobirà, Ripollès, Solsonès
- Terres de l'Ebre: Baix Ebre, Montsià, Ribera d'Ebre, Terra Alta
- Terres de Lleida: Garrigues, Noguera, Pla d'Urgell, Segarra, Segrià, Urgell
- Val d'Aran: Val d'Aran
Until 2011, the territorial disaggregation by tourism brands was calculated using special estimators for small areas. This methodology does not guarantee that the total amount is exactly the same as the result for the whole of Catalonia using the traditional estimator. However, the discrepancies are of little significance.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".