Definition of concepts
- Foreign trade
- Refers to operations of purchase or sale between Catalonia and other countries. This does not include trade with the rest of Spain.
- Value of the goods that leave a certain country. Statistically this is measured as an FOB (freight on board) value that includes the cost of the goods, plus transport costs as far as departure from the territory.
- Value of the goods coming from the exterior. Statistically this measures a CIF (cost insurance freight) value that includes the value of the cost of the goods, insurance and the cost of transport as far as the country of reception (border, port or airport).
- Exterior trade balance
- Difference between current export and import operations of goods and services between Catalonia and the rest of the world. It is a combination of the foreign trade balance and the balance with the rest of Spain.
- Coverage rate
- Ratio between exports and imports made during a reference period and a certain economic space.
The statistics on foreign trade are taken from the most relevant information derived from commercial relations with other countries, based on the single administrative document SAD, and on relations with other countries of the European Union on the basis of the Intrastat declaration. The data is provided to us by the State Tax Administration Agencys Department of Customs and Special Taxes. The figures are presented in accordance with the integrated tariff of the European communities (TARIC) in terms of destination groups and products; and in accordance with the revised Classification of economic activities CCAE-2009 in terms of branches of activity. The information is complemented with data on trade by countries and large areas and by means of transport.
Unavailable information is represented using the symbol ":". When the value is lower than that of the minimum unit to be able to estimate the statistical operation or if it effects statistical confidentiality, the symbol used is "..".